Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A Different Take

The following is a clip from Maureen Dowd's column this morning in the New York Times. I won't link to the site, but I will cut and paste this portion. Of course, one must always take anything from Ms Dowd with a grain of salt. However, this is the different take I was looking for this morning!

With Obama saying the hour is upon us to elect a black man and Hillary saying the hour is upon us to elect a woman, the Democratic primary has become the ultimate nightmare of liberal identity politics. All the victimizations go tripping over each other and colliding, a competition of historical guilts.
People will have to choose which of America’s sins are greater, and which stain will have to be removed first. Is misogyny worse than racism, or is racism worse than misogyny?
As it turns out, making history is actually a way of being imprisoned by history. It’s all about the past. Will America’s racial past be expunged or America’s sexist past be expunged?
As Ali Gallagher, a white Hillary volunteer in Austin told The Washington Post’s Krissah Williams: “A friend of mine, a black man, said to me, ‘My ancestors came to this country in chains; I’m voting for Barack.’ I told him, ‘Well, my sisters came here in chains and on their periods; I’m voting for Hillary.’ ”
And meanwhile, the conventional white man sits on the Republican side and enjoys the spectacle of the Democrats’ identity pileup and victim lock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a very interesting take. I had never thought of it that way. YOu are right, of course, one of the groups will lose and feel disenfranchised. Maybe John McCain should nominate a black woman to be his VP?

Anonymous said...

What is even more fascinating about this is that when all is said and done, the "solidarity" that exists between the minority groups will evaporate as the each try to steal the cookies from the jar.